by Amity Warme
I love making this banana bread for brunch on a rest day after a big adventure in the mountains or for dessert after a long day of hard training. The duo of complex carbohydrates in the whole wheat flour and simple carbohydrates in the honey and bananas is a perfect way to replenish glycogen stores in your muscles. Additionally, the protein in the Recovery Protein Powder provides the building blocks for repair and growth of your muscles after exercise. Enjoy this healthy and delicious treat as you recover from one adventure and refuel for the next!
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 large bananas
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (soy, almond, regular)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- 2 scoops Enduro Bites Vanilla Recovery Protein Powder
- 1 ¾ cup flour of choice (see notes)
- Optional add-ins – chopped nuts, chocolate chips, dried fruit, fresh banana slices
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan or 9-inch round pan
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and protein powder. Stir to combine
- Add the flour and stir until just combined. Gently fold in any optional add-ins if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepped loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Run the tip of a knife across the batter in a zig-zag pattern for a swirled effect.
- If using a loaf pan, bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If using a round pan, bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edges to help loosen the bread from the sides of the pan. Slice and enjoy!
- Flour options: whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, Gluten-free all-purpose flour blend, whole wheat pastry flour
- Vegan option:
- Replace honey with pure maple syrup
- Replace egg with flax eggs
- Use non-dairy milk
- Lower fat option: Replace olive oil with applesauce or and extra half banana
- Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate’s Healthy Banana Bread Recipe https://cookieandkate.com/healthy-banana-bread-recipe/
Big Routes Require Big Nutrition!