This is my breakfast mainstay. It’s a big, nutrient-packed smoothie to get my day started right and often the only nutrition I have in the morning. While I enjoy making a smoothie everyday regardless of what’s going on, it’s especially ideal for me before training and racing, as most solid foods tend to slow me down. Smoothies help me experience less bloating, better energy and endurance, and heightened concentration.
I use a Vitamix and, OK I’ll own it, I am definitely part of the Vitamix cult. I tried practically every other ‘blender’ before making the commitment to a Vitamix and have never regretted the purchase.
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1.5 tbsp virgin coconut oil
1/4 medium avocado
2-3 handfuls fresh spinach
1 large celery stalk
1 ‘leaf’ red cabbage
1 medium carrot
1 medium ripe peeled banana, frozen
1 1/2 cups strawberries, frozen
1/2 cup blueberries, frozen
2 tbsp plain, unsweetened whole milk yogurt
1 scoop protein powder, vanilla (I’m currently using whey, but I switch to a plant-based protein on occasion)
1 cup crushed ice
1. Place coconut milk, coconut oil, avocado, spinach in Vitamix container.
2. Turn dial to 1 and slowly increase speed to 10.
3. Once 10 is reached, turn to High setting for 30 seconds.
4. Stop machine and add celery, carrot, and cabbage and repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. Stop machine and add banana, strawberries, blueberries, yogurt. Repeat step 2. Stop once all ingredients appear to be blended.
6. Add protein powder and ice. Repeat step 2 until everything is well blended.
This recipe makes a thick smoothie. I eat it with a spoon. If you prefer yours less thick, cut back on the ice or add water.
The great thing about using a Vitamix is that you can liquefy virtually any food, which makes experimenting with different fruits, vegetables and even nuts a breeze.
On weekends, when I’m training or racing shortly after breakfast, I usually add a scoop or two of Beta Red Pre-Workout Formula to my smoothie.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. I’d love to hear about any variations you try. Leave a comment below or drop us a line at email@example.com.